...advanced dreams

12 April 2006

Finally decent email application

After few frustrations with Thunderbird and attachments (it just can't read all attachments right), I started a quest for new email application. Yes, evolution was there, but I need fast app without calendar and stuff that I don't need.

I needed good key bindings, it should have SPAM/Junk plugin wich I can configure, it must have support for PGP, I must be gtk2 app, it should have some sort of preprocesing mail (sorting, deleting, moving) and it would be great if I can setup To, Cc, Bcc and other stuff per folder (IMAP). I don't need POP, I need IMAP and SMTP over TLS/SSL connections. Do I really ask too much?

Tbird has good key bindings and good SPAM control, but it dies too much and locks my folders on server. It doesn't have per folder configuration that I need. Evolution has bindings that are unusable (. and , are next/previous!?), no Junk control (it creates it's own folder instead of using the one I would like it to use). Both work well with TLS/SSL and IMAP, but these probles were just too much for me.

I tried sylpheed. It was ok, but ugly. And then there it was - sylpheed-claws. Good key bindings - ctrl+n, ctrl+p (n/p would be much nicer), great SPAM control (connects to spamassassin and moves spam to folder I want it to move), maganes PGP very good and works TLS/SSL. Other goodies include per folder configuration, pre and post processing of messages, actions, filtering, templates (!), X-Face (without plugins), it can harvest emails from folder... The thing I miss the most is multiple IDs. For example, I would like to have three emails on same IMAP server, under one account. This can't be done. Of course, I can create one IMAP account and 2 accounts wihout fetching server/protocol. So, no drawbacks and lots of new goodies :)

I just realized I didn't blog anything for 6 months :)