...advanced dreams

14 January 2007

Toshiba

So, mine, and probably many other Toshibas, has broken BIOS. This is not a bad thing. People aren't perfect and they do mistakes. That's why you can upgrade BIOS.

What's bad is that when someone tries to notify Toshiba about that, they response is that they don't support Linux. OK, you don't, but you have a broken BIOS, that has nothing to do with Linux and that bug is probably waiting to "explode" in Windows too.

(Nice guys from Intel created http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org/ where you can test your BIOS and find bugs like these, so you could help your laptop vendor to fix them.)

What's even worse is that forum administrators, over at Toshiba Europe support forum, are editing users posts! And I'm not talking about abusive language. No, I'm talking about user's opinion. I don't see what's wrong in opinion that Intel should stop supporting Toshiba cause of their attitude to their users and Intel (linuxfirmwarekit.org is Intel's project, remember?).

This is why I decided that this was my first and last Toshiba computer/device. I'm even going to stop recommending their products to my clients. I'm sure no one wants to get this
kind of 'user support'.

Btw, Toshiba and all other "we don't support Linux"-wannabe companies; We don't want, as someone on Toshiba's forum said, "Designed for Linux" stickers. We want you to make standards compliant devices/BIOSes. All users will benefit from this; Windows, OSX, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris... If you don't, well too bad. I'm not going to cry, I'll go to other company which already does that. I don't care if their products costs more money.

Sorry if this post sounds bitter or like a flamebite, but you have to understand that I gave my money to Toshiba and got a low punch back. Very devastating for whatsoever future relationship with Toshiba.