...advanced dreams

15 October 2006

New notebook!

My old Inspiron 8600 served me well last 2 years, but it was time to move on. It's not that it's unusable anymore, but it doesn't do everything I want it to do. And, it can do things I don't need/want.

2 years ago when I searched for laptop, things I needed were big screen, nvidia card for playing games and wireless card. Now I wanted less weight, smaller size and video card that will be able to follow all the new development in Xorg. After looking at Dell Latitude D620 for a long time, I decided to go with Toshiba. Toshiba Satellite Pro U200 has 12" display, Intel 945 and it weights 1.8kg. 8600 had resolution of 1280x800. Toshiba has that same resolution :). Inspiron produced much more heat and noise than U200.

What works on Edgy, and what doesn't? Well, almost everything works out of the box, but there are still some details that require solutions.

That's it for now :)