...advanced dreams

04 November 2007

UDS Boston

I've just returned from my trip to UDS at Cambridge, MA. I was lucky enough to check out Fosscamp too. Since I mostly work with servers, I've had lots of interest in server related blueprints. Also, I wanted to help in creating ubuntu-server even better platform.

Since blueprints are still work in progress, there are no definitive conclusions on them, but ubuntu-server team will be very busy preparing some new ultra-cool stuff. I won't go into details, but we should see some major improvements in integration of services, scalability and performance of LAMP stack, extended mail service and lots of other small and not so small additions to overall experience.

At this stage of development of Hardy, it's hard or even impossible to tell if we set our goals too high. Personally, I'm quite confident ubuntu-server team is capable of delivering these new values to ubuntu-server platform. I base my assumption on technical knowledge of people I've met last week (in no particular incomplete order); Soren Hansen, Rick Clark, Nicolas Barcet, Jerry Carter, Mathias Gug, Kees Cook, Jamie Strandboge, Neal McBurnett, Steve Langasek...

Note to the ISVs: make plans to attend next UDS. You really want to talk about the problems and use cases you are experiencing with Ubuntu(-server). This is the best way to get them solved.

Special 'hello' goes to my roommate Ian Lawrence from the Ubuntu mobile community.

Other than that, my plane was delayed for two hours and my baggage is somewhere on relation Boston-Milan-Zagreb. Hopefully, I'll get my stuff soon :)

Labels: